Dealing with toe fungus is never easy – no matter what you do, it always finds its way back and leaves your nail discolored and crumbled into pieces. If you seek no treatment, the infection will spread to other toes. Infected toenails can swell and even give off a foul smell. Along with trying medical treatment, you may also want to try some home remedies such as cornmeal soak for toe fungus.
Can Cornmeal Soak Help Treat Toe Fungus?
Yes, cornmeal soak works for toe fungus, and this is mainly because cornmeal has antifungal properties. A cornmeal foot soak is one of the best home remedies to treat your toenail fungus, and here are the steps to follow.
- Take a 1-inch layer of cornmeal and pour it into a basin or pan. If you are using a pan, it should be slightly bigger than the length of your foot.
- Take 10 cups of water and pour it over the cornmeal. Ensure that there is at least an inch thick layer of water above the layer of cornmeal. Do not try to mix the water and cornmeal.
- Leave the mix for about an hour. It usually takes this long for the cornmeal and water to combine naturally. Let the mix sit for some more time if it does not look like mush.
- Add another layer (1-inch) of warm water on top of the mush.
- Soak your affected foot in the mixture for at least half an hour, and you can introduce more water if the mixture is not sufficient to cover your foot completely. Your whole foot should be soaked because fungus can thrive on other areas of your foot.
- Get your foot out after half an hour and rinse the mush off. Finish by patting your foot dry with a towel. Repeat twice a day until your infection goes away completely.
Note: Cornmeal soak for toe fungus is very effective. It is also a good idea to clean your footwear by soaking it in a mixture of 1 gallon of water and a cup of cornmeal for half an hour. This helps get rid of fungus in your footwear.
Other Home Remedies for Toe Fungus
Along with using cornmeal soak for toe fungus, you can try some other natural remedies to clear your infection. Here are some options to consider.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has antibacterial and antifungal properties. As it is mildly acidic, it works great to prevent toenail fungus from affecting other parts of your foot.
- Make a solution by mixing equal parts of water and apple cider vinegar, and soak your foot in this solution for half an hour every day.
- Be sure to dry your toenail properly after every soak.
- Stick to this remedy for a few weeks for better results.
2. Tea Tree Oil
The combination of antifungal and antiseptic properties of tea tree oil makes it a great remedy for toenail fungus. It works equally well for other types of skin infections.
- Take a teaspoon of coconut or olive oil and add a few drops of tea tree oil to it.
- Take a cotton ball, dip it in the mixture, and apply it directly on your affected toenail.
- After 10 minutes, take a toothbrush and scrub the affected nail. Be gentle while scrubbing.
- Repeat thrice a day until the infection clears.
3. Baking Soda
It is easy to find baking soda in your kitchen and it works quite efficiently to cure your toenail fungus. You may also benefit a lot from baking soda when you want a remedy to neutralize foot odor.
- Take four cups of hot water and add ¼ cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide, one-half cup of baking soda, and one-half cup of Epsom salt to it. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
- Take ¼ cup of white vinegar and add it to the mixture.
- Soak your foot in this solution for 10 minutes and then use clean water to wash your foot. Be sure to dry your foot thoroughly.
- Repeat twice a day for a few weeks for good results.
4. White Vinegar
White vinegar works by restoring your skin's pH level. Its regular use can help clear serious infections.
- Take two parts of warm water and mix one part of white vinegar in it. Use more water if you have sensitive skin.
- Soak your affected foot in this solution for 15 minutes.
- Finish by rinsing it off. Use a towel to ensure the area is dry.
- Do the same twice a day until the infection goes away.
5. Oil of Oregano
With its antibacterial, antiseptic, antiviral, antifungal, and analgesic properties, oil of oregano serves as one effective remedy for toenail fungus. It is even better than cornmeal soak for toe fungus.
- Add two drops of oil of oregano to a teaspoon of olive oil.
- Use a cotton ball to apply this mixture on your affected toenail.
- Rinse it off after half an hour. Be sure to dry your toes thoroughly.
- Repeat twice a day for three weeks for better effects.
Garlic works as a natural antifungal and is extremely effective against toenail fungus. It is so potent that it can eliminate any fungus underneath the nail bed.
- Cut a clove of fresh garlic diagonally in half.
- Now, grate it against the edge of your affected toenail. Try to push the pulp underneath the nail bed.
- Take a blunted toothpick and use it to push the clove further underneath your nail.
- Repeat twice a week to get rid of any fungus and infection.