Male hot flashes are indeed a recognized condition that is fairly similar in presentation and symptoms to female hot flashes. In vast majority of cases it is marked by flushing of face, followed by sweating and feeling of heat that ends in cold clammy skin spontaneously. It is highly recommended to seek medical assistance if you or your loved ones are suffering from these symptoms for early identification and prompt treatment.
Symptoms of Male Hot Flashes
The symptomatology of hot flashes is fairly similar in males as well as females that start with spontaneous flushing of face and trunk that is also associated with visible profuse sweating and anxiety. Classically the episodes begin at night/ bedtime and may last up to 4 minutes.
- Involvement of face, upper trunk and neck region more than lower body.
- Sweating that may get profuse
- Alteration in the sleep quality
- Palpitation, dizziness, increased heart rate, anxiety and palpitations.
- Tense tender and stiff joints
- Burning sensation in the mouth, extremities and other parts of the body.
- Changes in nails, bones, skin and muscles.
Causes of Male Hot Flashes
Male menopause is a physiological phenomenon that is observed in some males with aging process. The symptoms are due to changes in the patterns of hormonal secretion and may also include substantial weight gain, changes in the sleeping patterns and male pattern baldness or even thinning or loss of hair.
Imbalance in the secretion or metabolism of sex hormones or androgens due to medical, surgical or pharmacological causes may also lead to male hot flashes.
Reaction to Medicine/Food
Allergic response to certain medications (nifedipine, calcitonin and niacin) or certain foods (or food additives like monosodium glutamate) can also lead to male hot flashes.
Certain infections may produce symptoms that may mimic male menopause. For example infections like chronic HIV, tuberculosis and other slow growing organisms may produce changes in the weight, sleep and mood.
Symptoms like pain in the groin region, enlargement of testicles or adhesion of testicles with scrotal skin may be sighs of hormonal aberration caused by testicular tumor. Frequent episodes of headaches, changes in vision and nausea/ vomiting in addition to hot flashes may due to increased likelihood of brain tumor.
Home Remedies for Male Hot Flashes
Check on Food/Medicine
For example, if your symptoms are associated with intake of certain herbs or spices, it is better to eliminate the responsible foods or herbs completely from your diet. If the cause of your symptoms is a particular drug, speak to your healthcare provider to replace/ switch the medication.
Take a Healthy Diet
Increasing the intake of vegetables like wild yam is very effective in managing the symptoms of male hot flashes which also achieves stress- relieving, anti- anxiety and anti- depression effects.
Use Herbal Remedies
- Saw palmetto is long known for its effect on male sex hormones.
- Red clover is usually advised to enhance male sexual health by enhancing the circulation within your blood vessels.
- Ginseng is one of the ancient and most effective Chinese herbal remedy to manage male as well as male hot flashes and other menopausal symptoms.
- Some people also achieve remission in symptoms of hot flashes and night sweats with Black cohosh tea.
Preventions of Male Hot Flashes
1. Wearing loose and comfortable clothing especially at the night time.
2. Drinking plenty of water throughout the day and especially during evening to decrease the risk of dehydration
3. Improving the ventilation of your house and of the room in which you sleep
4. Adopting a stress-free lifestyle and choosing healthy methods for stress relieving like yoga and meditation.
Medical Treatments for Male Hot Flashes
Hormone Replacement Therapy
The most notable medical therapy to manage the symptoms of male hot flashes is hormone replacement therapy. Most healthcare providers advice only estrogen in males to get rid of male hot flashes, in order to minimize the risk of adverse effects like growth of breast and regression in the size of testicles.
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors or SSRIs like Paxil and another antidepressant Effexor are newer treatments with fewer adverse effects. The former can cause dysfunction in sex and the later can cause blood pressure raise.
This treatment mainly refers to Neurontin of which the first successful report was in male. The most frequently seen adverse effect is dizziness.